October is Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) Awareness Month. There are a lot of misconceptions when it comes to SCA…such as:
- “It only affects the older population.”
- “It only affects unhealthy people.”
- “I will have enough time to go to the hospital.”
- “My symptoms will alert me that something is wrong.”
All of these statements are very inaccurate and it’s important to know the truth about SCA:
- SCA does not play favorites when it comes to age or “health”
- SCA happens QUICK
- A victim becomes unresponsive in a matter of seconds
- SCA doesn’t really show any symptoms before a person collapses
Sudden Cardiac Arrest Kills 1 Person Every 90 Seconds in the U.S.A alone.
Survival Rates Decrease 10% For Every Minute That Goes by Without Bystander Help.
What can you do to be more prepared?
- Learn CPR
- Locate an AED at your workplace